Training of Clergy
To learn about the training of new clergy, please go to:
Bishop's Office / Guild of St Mark.
Training of Lay Ministers
To learn more about our overall understanding of lay ministers, please click Licensed Lay Ministers to see †Martin's Presentation to Diocesan Standing Committee in April 2015, where he explained how the Diocese understands them, how they are trained, and the five-yearly process of renewal.
Training for Ministries in the Diocese of St Mark the Evangelist covers the training of Licensed Lay Ministers in 5 categories:
- Worship Leaders
- Preachers (Coordinator: Shearsby Mupfudzapake - email@example.com)
- Pastoral Carers
- Youth Pastors (Coordinator: Nosipho Nzama - firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Evangelists (still being developed)
The Coordinator is Walter Setshedi (email@example.com; Telephone 015 297 3297)
Lay Minister Training takes place in two stages:
- Foundations - comprising Books 1 & 2 of Rooted in Jesus
- Specialised Training for the particular caategory
If you would like to learn more about becoming a Lay Minister you can download a leaflet with general information here.
For special information on how to become a Worship Leader please click here.
For special information on how to become a Lay Preacher please click here.
For special information on how to become a Pastoral Carer please click here.
Renewal of Lay Ministers' Licences
Every five years all Lay Ministers' licences lapse and have to be renewed. 2015 was such a year - so all the Licensed Lay Ministers gathered at Christ Church Cathedral on 18th April to renew their licences. This took the form of a special Diocesan Standing Committee (DSC) Meeting, where:
- †Martin shared the vision of Lay Ministers in the Diocese
- Refresher training took place according to the three categories - with members of DSC joining in
- Lay Ministers recommitted themselves to exercise their ministries in accordance with the Pastoral Standards of ACSA
- New Licences, valid until 2020, were issued.